I am excited to announce that the cherries at Mt. View Orchards are within a week of being ready to eat!!! Oh tree ripened cherries, you are simply the best! Cherries are lovely to eat as a snack but they can be pitted and put into pancakes, pies, crisps, canned, made into jams, put on pizza, can be made savory with pork and polenta but my favorite way to enjoy them is in Julia Child's Cherry Clafouti! Do not let this recipe intimidate you, just because clafouti sounds so darn sultry and french. Oui Oui? This dessert is actually quit simple but will impress everyone in town. It works for breakfast, tea time and is a beautiful dessert. Trust me on this one. You need to make this and share with your favorite people asap!
Cherry Chafouti Ingredients.
- 1 1⁄4cups milk
- 2⁄3cup sugar, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄8teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2cup flour (This could easily go GF with rice flour)
- 3 cups cherries, pitted
- powdered sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a blender, combine the milk, 1/3 cup sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt and flour, and blend.
- Lightly butter an 8-cup baking dish(I use cast iron), and pour a 1/4-inch layer of the blended mixture over the bottom. Set remaining batter aside.
- Place dish into the oven for about 7-10 minutes, until a film of batter sets in the pan but the mixture is not baked through. Remove from oven (but don’t turn the oven off, yet).
- Distribute the pitted cherries over the set batter in the pan, then sprinkle with the remaining sugar. Pour the remaining batter over the cherries and sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes, until the clafouti is puffed and brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm.
- Servings: 6-8 for dessert, 4 for breakfast.
I am excited to announce that we are opening Mt. View Orchards fruit stand on Friday June 26th and will be open every day of the week until November(9-5pm). We are also going to be at the Cully Farmers Market on Ne 42nd in Portland starting this Thursday the 25th from 4-7pm Things are buzzing here on the farm and it seems like I could be working non stop if I wanted too because the work never seems to be done. We will start harvesting our first crop here on the farm of cherries this next coming week and the harvesting doesn't end until October with our apples. Harvest time is such an exhilarating time here on the farm and I am again so pleased with our crops and cannot wait to share them with you all. Please consider coming opening weekend for some fresh cherries and say hello. We are located at 6670 trout creek ridge rd, Parkdale Or 97041 Thank you again for all the farming love and friendship. xoxo your grateful farmer